Today we would like to share with you one of my all-time favorite pork belly recipes – braised pork rice with shiitake mushroom, aka Lu Rou Fan in mandarin.
It is the perfect combination of everything. The pork is super tender and juicy, together with the rich umami flavor from the mushroom. For me, the best part is to combine the rice with the sauce, it tastes amazing!
Here are the main ingredients that we are going to use.
Besides these, we will need 2 types of soy sauce here. One is the light soy sauce, which will bring flavor and saltiness; the other is the dark soy sauce, which will add color to dishes and will make the dish looks nice.
If you are curious about what a dish looks like without adding dark soy sauce, check out the video below.
Braised Pork Rice Bowl
- 2 lb pork belly
- 1 shallot diced
- eggs 1 egg per serving, hard boiled
- 1 thumb ginger peeled, sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 6 oz dried shiitake mushroom soak 2 hours ahead
- 3 tbsp Chinese rice wine
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- For the preparation, chop shallot into small pieces. In a pan, add 2 tbsp of canola oil and pan-fried the shallot at medium heat, until it becomes golden and crispy. This process will take about 10 minutes, during this time, you can chop the pork belly into thick strips, dice the shiitake mushroom, peel and slice the ginger. Cook the eggs in boiling water for 10 minutes and remove the shells.
- Transfer the shallot and the oil into a bowl. Then add the pork belly in, cook it at medium-low heat. Add 3 tbsp of Chinese rice wine, together with ginger to the pork, it will help to get rid of the unpleasant smells. Mix well.Add 2 tbsp of soy sauce. Cook at medium-low heat until the pork becomes crispy outside. Discard the pork grease from the pan.
- Add shiitake mushroom, 1 star anise, and 1 cinnamon stick. Mix well and stir fry the pork with the spices for 2 minutes.
- Add the shallot oil mix, and the eggs back to the pan. To season the sauce, add a tbsp of sugar, 1 tbsp of salt, ¼ cup of soy sauce, and 2 tbsp of dark soy sauce. And then add 3 cups of boiling water to cover everything. Mix well and let it bring to boil. Cover with the lid and turn the heat to medium-low. Cook it for about 30 minutes.
- You can start cooking the rice at this point. By the time when the rice is done, the pork part would be done as well. Before the rice finish cooking, add broccoli in and cover the lid, let it simmer with the rice for 10 minutes. The remaining steam inside the pot will make the broccoli perfectly cooked.
- Before serving, discard all of the spices. Assemble everything in a bowl. Enjoy!