Today we would like to share with you an easy way to make soufflé.
With a few simple steps of preparation, you can get this fancy-looking dessert within 30 minutes. We’ve also tested this recipe at different temperatures, and done a side-by-side comparison between the oven and the air fryer.
They all turns out great and taste amazing! Except the oven will need a longer cooking time than the air fryer.
For your information, we were using 4 3-inch ramekin dishes, with 3.4oz of capacity. These dishes are quite small, because I bought them on sale online and have no idea how big it was lol. You can scale up the recipe based on the dish you use. We will publish more soufflé recipes in the future using a bigger dish.
For this recipe, you can substitute the vanilla paste with the same amount of vanilla extract here. I prefer to use the paste since it has ground vanilla bean powder in it and has a stronger flavor than the extract.
If you want to have a chocolate lava filling, just simply add some chocolate wafers in the middle, and cover with more batter. They are my favorite!
It has this nice crusty around the outside, while the inside is so creamy and moist! My favorite part is to pop open from the top part and see the soft and airy inside. So satisfying!
Easy Soufflé Recipe
- Air Fryer or Oven
- Hand held mixer
- Ramekin dish
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ⅛ cup sugar plus 1 tbsp for the yolk mixture
- ½ tsp vanilla paste can be substituted by the same amount of vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp butter
- A pinch kosher salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- butter & sugar to grease the ramekin
- Heat up ½ cup of milk in a pan over low heat, together with ½ tsp of vanilla paste and a pinch of salt. Whisk well. Let the milk simmer and infuse for about 10 minutes.
- Separate the white and the yolk from 2 eggs. Combine 1 tbsp of sugar with ⅛ cup of cake flour, and add the yolks. Whisk well and add a few spoonfuls of warm milk from the pan. Keep whisking until there are no lumps inside. (Well, if there are still lumps in there, just filter out). Then pour the yolk mixture into the pan.
- Bring the pan back to the stove and keep it over low heat, keep whisking until the cream become thick enough and it can hold its shape. Turn off the heat and transfer the cream into a bowl. Let it cool down a little bit and then add 2 tbsp of unsalted butter, whisk well.
- Cover the cream right against with plastic film and leave it in the fridge to chill. (If you want to try a lazy method for this step, check up the video tutorial above, starting from 01:35)
- Coat the ramekin with butter and sugar. You can melt some butter and use a brush to cover the surface. Or for me, I just take the butter stick directly from the fridge and use my palm to warm it up for 5 seconds, and then it will be soft enough to stick on the surface.Dust some sugar, make it evenly cover the bottom and the side of the dish, and shake off the excess.
- After all of the dishes are coated, preheat the oven to380ºF (air fryer to 375ºF), and then we are going to whip the egg white. Also, prepare the ⅛ cup of sugar next to you.
- When the egg white becomes foamy, add ⅓ of the sugar and keep whisking at high speed. And then gradually add the rest of the sugar while whisking. Whip until stiff peak form
- Once the yolk mixture has cooled down. Add 1/3 of the egg white to the yolk and mix them well. And then transfer it back to the rest of the egg white. Use the folding motion to combine them well, until everything is incorporated.
- Transfer the batter to the ramekin dish. If you want to have a chocolate lava filling, just simply add some chocolate wafers in the middle, and cover with more batter. To make the souffle look nicer, you can use a spatula to flatten the top part, and then use your thumb to rub around the rim of the ramekin, to create a tiny gap in between. This will help the souffle to rise up and form a cylinder kind of shape.
- Lastly, add the ramekin to the oven or air fryer. For the oven, bake at 380ºF for 18 minutes; for the air fryer, 375ºF for 7 minutes.Make sure not to open the lid during the cooking process until it is done!
- Serve immediately once it finish cooking.