Today, we would like to share a simple weeknight dinner. It combines the savory flavor of sausage with the crispiness of Brussels sprouts.
Brussels sprouts are a great source of vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin K, vitamin C, and potassium. They are also high in fiber, which can help to support healthy digestion. It gives a delicious flavor to the brussels sprouts when they are cooked in the grease from the sausage.
We also added some yellow squash cubes. You can use other veggies available in your fridge here.
Most importantly, this dish is cooked in a single pan and can be served directly in the cast-iron skillet, making it incredibly simple to prepare and clean.
In the end, we also added the marinara sauce and topped it with cheese, which give this dish a rich flavor. It quickly became our family’s favorite.
Cast Iron Sausage and Brussel Sprout
- Cast Iron Skillet
- ½ lb sausage meat
- ½ lb brussel sprouts trimmed and quartered
- 1 medium yellow squash diced, can be substitute with other veggies
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- ¼ cup shredded cheese such as mozzarella or cheddar
- Heat up a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage meat, break it up with a spatula, and cook until it is browned.
- Turn the heat to high, add the Brussels sprouts to the skillet, and cook them until they are browned, about 3 minutes.
- Add the diced yellow squash to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes. Pour one cup of marinara sauce over the top and heat it up for another 1 minute.
- Turn off the heat and sprinkle some cheese on top. Enjoy!