For tonight’s dinner, we will be using some black forest bacon, together with shishito peppers to make a quick meal within 15 minutes.
This black forest bacon has a unique smoky flavor, it is also sweeter than regular bacon. And I really like them more than regular peppers.
As for the shishito peppers, they are not spicy at all and are so tasty! They have a fresh peppery flavor, which is similar to a green pepper but with more sweetness
Even in the package, it says, only 1 in 10 have heat, but I never had one that is spicy.
Have you? Did you ever get any spicy shishito peppers? Just curious, Let us know in the comment below.
They are more commonly used as an appetizer dish. But I feel they match so well with the bacon and their flavor is so balanced.
I would say that this might be the best way to cook shishito peppers since they become super soft and got an amazing flavor from the charring process and the sauce., it is so tender and full of wonderful flavor.
As for the bacon, the majority of fat has rendered out and the nice smoky, sugary flavor is so concentrated, plus this garlicky sauce, just makes each of the bites taste amazing!
Black Forest Bacon & Shishito peppers
- 1 pack black forest bacon
- 1 bag shishito peppers
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ tbsp sugar
- ½ tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- Cut the bacon into small bite-size pieces, and toss them in a pan at medium-low heat. This process will take about 10 minutes. In the meantime, rinse the peppers with water and drain them. Place them on a paper towel to remove excess water. Chop garlic into small pieces.
- When the bacon becomes crispy outside, remove them from the grease, and transfer them to a bowl for later use. Also, remove the grease in a paper bowl, it is easy to toss them away once they become cold and solid the next day.
- Add the peppers into the wok, turn the heat to low, and try to make each side get charred. Each side will take about 1 to 2 minutes. So while waiting for the pepper, you can use this time to make a sauce (Step 4).
- In a bowl, add half tbsp of sugar, half tbsp of salt, 1 tbsp of soy sauce, 1 tbsp of oyster sauce, and a quarter cup of water. Mix well. Also add the garlic in to the sauce.
- Now the pepper is nicely charred, add the bacon and the sauce in, and stir everything well. Cook until all of the liquid nearly evaporates, and it is done. Enjoy!