Candied strawberry, also known as tanghulu, is a super tasty dessert. The outside sugar coat is crunchy, and it combines so well with the inside sour strawberry. There are only 3 ingredients in this recipe: strawberry, sugar, water, which is super simple!
- 1 lb strawberries You can also switch strawberry to other fruits, such as grapes, diced apple, kiwi …
- 2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
Preparing the syrup
- Heat up 2 cups of sugar and 1 cup of water in a saucepan at medium heat. Before the water boil, stir to help the sugar dissolve and place the candy thermometer into the mixture. Stop stirring after the mixture begins to boil. Agitation can cause the sugar to crystallize.
- Use a wet brush to wipe down the side of the pot during the first few minutes of cooking. It is because: once the mixture is boiling, there is liquid splash the sides of the pot. It can be a chance for the crystal to grow.
- Once it becomes 300F/148C “hard crack”, it is ready for coating. See the FAQ sections if not using a candy thermometer.
- Method 1 – Use a toothpick to hold a strawberry, and dip it into the syrup. Spin around to coat evenly, place them on parchment to cool down.
- Method 2 – Use a spoon to take some syrup, spin the strawberry at the bottom. The sugar string will cover the strawberry, and the sugar strings will stay there when it cools down.
- It is recommanded to use a lot of sugar when making the syrup. If only making a small amount of syrup, it will cool down very quickly and become solid, which will be hard for coating the strawberries.
- The ideal ratio is 1 part of water with 2 parts of sugar. If there is more water, it need to cook longer; Less water, will make the sugar easier to burn.
If you don’t have a candy thermometer, use a spoon dip into the syrup, and then drop into a bowl with cold water. A small bead of candy will form. Pick up the candy and chew it: if the candy is crunchy, it means the syrup is ready; if it is sticky, it needs to cook longer.
Bear Cusine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. These links are affiliated. If you purchase through them, I will make a couple of cents to a couple of dollars. But that won’t affect your prices at all.