This strawberry custard cake is super easy to make! It doesn’t require complicated skills to decorate the cake. Just simply bake it, make the cream, assemble everything together, flip it upside down and it is done!
Strawberry Custard Cake
- Baking pan
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cake flour
Strawberry Marinade (will be used for the cake filling)
- 1/2 lb strawberries
- 1/2 lime
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 1/2 cup milk
- 4 yolk
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 drops vanilla extract
- 1 stick unsalted butter (8 tbsp)
- 1 lb strawberries
- Chop strawberries into small dice. Add 3 tbsp of sugar and the juice from a half lime, mix well. Place this marinade in the fridge while preparing other ingredients.
Cake base (whole egg sponge cake)
- Crack 5 eggs in a clean bowl, and then add 1 cup of sugar. Whisk them over simmering water. Whisk well until the mixture is slightly warmer than your fingers.
- Remove the bowl from the warm water bath and keep whisking at room temperature, until it reaches the ribbon stage. Sift 1 cup of cake flour in, and gently mix well.
- Prepare a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Transfer the mixture to the baking sheet and gently cover it evenly. Bake the cake at 400F for 10-12 minutes.
- After the cake is cooled down, cut into 3 circles (the size is based on the bowl that you are using for assembling later, see the video for more detail)
- In a saucepan, add 2 and a half cups of milk, and a few drops of the vanilla extract. Simmer the milk over low heat.
- In a bowl, combine 4 yolks and 4 tbsp of sugar. Mix the yolk and sugar. Add 2 tbsp of cornstarch. Whisk until the starch dissolves.
- Add a spoonful of warm milk, mix well and pour the yolk mixture into the pan. Cook the mixture over medium-low heat. In the meantime, keep whisking the mixture.
- Keep whisking until the batter becomes thicken, remove the pan from the heat.
- After it cools down a little, add the whole stick of unsalted butter(room temperature) and mix well.
Assemble the cake
- Drain the marinade strawberry. Cut the rest of the strawberries into thin slices.
- Place some plastic wrap in the bowl, so that the cake can be easily removed later. Place the strawberry slices alongside the bowl. Add custard cream over it.
- Place the smallest cake circle in, add the marinade strawberry, and then cover with the cream.
- Place another circle, marinade strawberry, and cream. At the end cover it up with the biggest cake circle. Then cover a plastic film and fridge it for at least 4 hours. So that the cake can keep its shape.
- 4 hours later, place a plate on the top and flip it, remove the bowl and the plastic film. And the cake is done. Enjoy!
You May Also Like…
Bear Cusine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program
These links are affiliated. If you purchase through them, I will make a couple of cents to a couple of dollars. But that won’t affect your prices at all. This is not a sponsored video.